www.flavorsoffresh.com | @flavorsoffresh
Super Bowl Sunday is here! Can you smell the wings and nachos yet? It’s an exciting time (especially for us in New England – Go Pats!), but besides Tom Brady, all anyone can talk about is the food.
Game Day food has become a huge tradition, and it’s not only during the Super Bowl that we deal with tempting treats that can be distracting to our goals, in fact this is common during most social situations. So today we are talking all about how to navigate social situations and stay strong on your wellness journey while still being able to have fun!
Here are a few easy tips and tricks you can put to the test at your Super Bowl party this weekend:
1. Drinking games. Bring your favorite sparkling water (shout out to LaCroix, the Tom Brady of sparkling water), kombucha, smoothie, or mocktail, to the party. Don’t be afraid to get fancy with it! The fancier the better actually. Throw some lemon and lime slices in there, some mint leaves, whatever makes your taste buds tingle. If you go the sparkling water route, make a game out of it by trying to keep up with your friends as they down beers. If you’re worried about people giving you a hard time, pour your drink into a solo cup and nobody will bother you!
2. Fill up on the good stuff. Eat a healthy, filling meal at home before you go out - classic party trick. It’s much easier to turn down the nacho bar when you’re full (not easy, just EASIER).
3. Bring the party with you. Bring your favorite healthy food to the party for yourself and everyone to enjoy (like the paleo cauliflower crust pizza recipe below!). Not only will your friends be grateful that you came with food, but you’ll always have a healthy option to snack on. Sharing is caring!
4. Make meaningful memories. So much of the focus in social gatherings is on the food, but if you stop giving your energy to what you’re eating and start to zone in on connecting with your friends and making memories, you’ll see how little saying “no” to the mac & cheese bites actually affects you. Make it a point to talk to each person, give them your undivided attention, whether it’s an old friend or someone you’re meeting for the first time. Put all of your energy into the people in the room.
5. Embrace it. Just because everyone else is going HAM on the food and drink spread, doesn’t mean you have to be bitter about the fact that you’re not indulging. If you allow yourself to start feeling sorry about it, you are perpetuating a negative relationship with food. Try to embrace your health journey and be excited that you can survive even the most tempting social scene without setting yourself back.
Now that you’re geared up and ready to go watch another Pats win, we wouldn’t leave you without a touch down of a recipe! Check out this week’s recipe, paleo cauliflower crust pizza. It’s grain free, dairy free, and will score you some major points with your friends because it tastes like the real deal.
If there is one thing that no person should ever have to go without in this world, it’s pizza. I feel like pizza is the one common denominator all people have in common. In a fight with your S.O.? Pizza! Stressful day at work? Pizza! Special occasion? Pizza! You simply can’t go wrong.
You may think that going paleo means saying goodbye to this delicacy. Well, if you thought that, you would be wrong! *cue record-scratch noise* YUP, YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY!
Cauliflower and all its transformational powers are back at it again to help us grain-free people out. Not only that but, thanks to some close to the real thing dairy-free cheeses, like Kite Hill, you won’t even pizza straight from Italy.
Make sure to share your photos with us @soulfu3l and @flavors_of_fresh if you end up making this so we can see your amazing creations.
Ready, break! GO PATS!